Viet An Law Firm provides service of consulting on the registration of intellectual property rights, and rights of industrial design in domestic and foreign nations, including service of copyright registration, service of trademark registration, industrial design registration, the patent registration in Vietnam and internationally, under the Madrid System or submit the individual filing in countries around the world. In this article, Viet An Law would like to provide customers with procedures for Industrial design registration in Egypt as follows.
Documents that customers need to provide to submit the industrial design registration application in Egypt
- Power of Attorney is notarized and legalized at the Egyptian Consulate.
- The Enterprise Registration Certificate of a company, which is legalized by the Egyptian Consulate. In case the applicant is an individual, they must provide a scanned copy (including a passport).
- A certified copy of the priority application; if priority is claimed (Note: priority claim can only be performed within 6 months from the date of first filing in a member state under the Paris Convention).
- The transfer deed is legalized at the Egyptian Consulate from the author and the applicant in case the applicant is not the author who is a creator of the industrial design.
Procedures for industrial design registration in Egypt
Stage 1: The dossier submission stage
- The registration application is enclosed with the above-mentioned documents and is submitted to the Industrial Design Office in Egypt. The document can be submitted within 06 months from the date of application.
- The above dossier will be appraised by specialized
- During the appraisal process, the Industrial Design Office in Egypt can request the applicant to perform some modifications for their industrial design application. If the requested amendments are not performed within six months from the date of notification, the Industrial Design Office in Egypt will reject the applicant’s design application.
- Duration to appraise about 12 months.
- At the end of the appraisal period, the appraiser will decide to accept or refuse to grant a title for the applicant’s industrial design registration application.
- If the decision of the Industrial Design Office is an acceptance decision, the design application will be transferred to the second stage “Proclamation and Registration stage”.
Stage 2: Stage on publish and register
- Note: The publishing fee will be paid to publish the design on the industrial property Official Gazette.
- After publication of the design in the above-mentioned Official Gazette, third parties shall have 60 days to object to the publication of the above-mentioned design (if any).
- If there are no objections within these 60 days, the design will be approved for registration and the applicant will receive an Industrial Design Registration Certificate.
- The duration to protect the industrial design title in Egypt is 10 years from the date of submitting the industrial design application. That duration can be extended in the last of the 10th year to extend additional 05 years.
- In the case where the decision of the Industrial Design Office is a refusal, the following situation will arise: Within 30 days from the date of notification about the refusal decision, the applicant may submit the appeal of the decision to the Appeals Committee at the Industrial Design Office in Egypt. If the above-mentioned Committee accepts the appeal, the design application will be transferred to the application and registration process as outlined above.
Duration to register for industrial design in Egypt
The timeline frame to complete the industrial design application registration process in Egypt is from 16 to 24 months.
General information about procedures for industrial design registration in Egypt
- You can claim the priority under the Paris Convention within 6 months from the date of the first-to-file.
- Conditions: Be a member of the Paris Convention.
- Duration to protect the design: 10 years.
- Extension: the protection term will be extended for an additional 5 years when the industrial design owner applies for an extension in the last year of the protection term. However, the owner can apply to extend the registration within 03 months after the expiration of the protection term. The Design Office will automatically revoke the granted registration if the industrial design is not extended.
- We need design drawings in the JPG format for all design views “front, back, left side, right side, top and bottom”, size 10 cm * 10 cm for each side, design images that are drawings or photographs are acceptable, however, if design images are drawings, it will
- Novelty and industrial applicability are required under the Law on Intellectual Property.
Note: Depending on each specific product, from simple to complex, there is no limit to the total number of drawings in an industrial design registration application.
Industrial design loses its novelty
- If the industrial design is disclosed to the public by description or by use, before applying. However, the disclosure or description of an industrial design will not affect novelty if it is performed after the filing of an application in a member state of the World Trade Organization, or a state that applies a policy of reciprocity such as Egypt, or if the disclosure occurs at a national or international exhibition or publication of the industrial design in a conference or a scientific periodical with the condition that all these took place within six months before the date which the registration application was filed in Egypt.
- If the industrial design is not fundamentally different from the previous industrial design or if it is used for a type of product different from the product of the previously registered industrial design.
The following industrial designs are not registered for protection in Egypt
- Design whose basic shape is due to the technical or functional requirements of the product.
- Designs that include emblems, religious emblems, stamps, or ensigns of Egypt or other countries, or whose use may undermine public order or offend public morality.
- The design is identical, similar, or nearly identical to a registered trademark or well-known trademark.
- The applicant is allowed to submit an industrial design application with many design options.
Transfer of the industrial design registration application in Egypt
- Power of Attorney signed by the transferee and legalized at the Egyptian Consulate.
- A certified copy of the Transferred Company’s Enterprise Registration Certificate is legalized at the Egyptian Consulate.
- A legalized deed of transfer includes the transfer of ownership of the facility for manufacturing the trademarked goods.
Change of name/address of the industrial design registration application
- Power of Attorney is legalized at the Egyptian Consulate.
- Confirmation documents of the change of name and address.
If you have more questions about procedures for industrial design registration in Egypt or other countries around the world, please contact Viet An Law Firm for the fastest and most professional support!